During August, I’m pleased to announce that Little Passports has given my readers a 40% discount! That is HUGE. Click on the affiliate button to the left and use the coupon code OFF40 to start your adventures with Little Passports. This discount is for the “Monthly Plan,” where you usually pay $11.95 every month, and can cancel it at anytime.
This month also was World Friendship Day, and to celebrate it, characters Sam and Sofia are cooking one of their favorite recipes together: “Friendship Bread!” Why not invite a friend to come cook with you? Here’s how:
• 1 package active dry yeast
• 1/4 cup warm water (110 degrees F)
• a pinch of sugar
• 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
• 3 cups white sugar, divided
• 3 cups milk
Directions for Friendship Bread
1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in water with a pinch of sugar. Let stand 10 minutes. In a 2 quart container (not metal!), combine 1 cup flour and 1 cup sugar. Whisk thoroughly or flour will lump when milk is added. Slowly stir in 1 cup milk and the dissolved yeast mixture. Cover loosely and let stand until bubbly: look at the yeast growing! Kids love to see the physical change. Consider this day 1 of the 10 day cycle. Leave loosely covered at room temperature.
2. On days 2 through 4, stir starter with a spoon (or with your hands, as my kids like to do!). Note any differences in smell, appearance, and texture. On day 5, stir in 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk and place in a ziplock bag. Days 6 throughout 9, have the kids mash the bag to stir the mixture.
3. Finally, on day 10, stir in 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk. Remove 1 cup of the “starter” to make your first bread, and give 2 cups to friends along with this recipe. Talk about how nice it feels to share something homemade with a friend, and how we feel when someone gives a something special.
Store the remaining 1-cup starter in a container in the refrigerator, or begin the 10-day process over again (beginning with step 2).
Now that you have your sourdough starter, follow this simple recipe to make a delicious loaf of Amish Friendship Bread:).