~ with Bethany M. Edwards
I’m inviting Bethany Edwards, of Biracial Bookworm, to share with my readers about an exciting new course for parents who would like to teach kids to read. Bethany’s background includes teaching in grades K-8th, Curriculum Coordinator, Literacy Coach, Mentor Teacher, and Reading Specialist. She has taught in California, Turkmenistan, Egypt, Ukraine, Latvia, and Mauritania. Her new course, the Biracial Bookworms Academy, is for parents (and soon to be parents) and caregivers of babies, toddlers, and preschoolers (ages 0-5). I have already gone through the course and it is INCREDIBLE!!!
This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for your support!
Many would argue the first 5 years of a child’s life matter the most. The early experiences of a young child shape the course of their lives.
The key to unlocking a child’s reading ability starts the day they are born. Giving them a rich literacy environment from the moment they come home from the hospital is crucial.
Not only am I going to give you the tools to teach kids to read and strategies for raising readers, I am going to encourage you to read high quality books that are diverse and multicultural to raise a global citizen as well. I will give you practical ways to enrich their academics and their lives.
I am going to give the HOW and the WHAT to read so your child can learn to read, while also learning empathy and compassion to become a global citizen. I want your child to literally and figuratively read the world. Even if you have the most amazing and diverse library in the world at home or in the classroom, you still need the tools and strategies so that a child knows HOW to read them.
This course is also an investment in the future of the child in your care. I am going to help you develop a literacy foundation that is not based on a curriculum or learning style, but on finding a true love for reading and for people.
Why is this course so important?
A child’s brain is 90% developed by the time they turn 5 and go to school. So, what must you do in the most important years of your child’s life? This course is going to give you all the tools you need to ensure you have made the most of those crucial first 5 years.
There is no formal reading curriculum in this course. You will not find difficulty applying these strategies. Many other courses require you to have a degree in teaching to understand what they are saying.
There are fancy programs and “reading shortcuts” advertised everywhere. These are practical and effective ways that EVERY parent and care-giver can do every day. This course gives children the social/emotional and academic boost they need to excel the rest of their life. The reading magic is in the fundamentals.
What is the purpose of this course?
I was inspired to write this course so that every parent and caregiver has the right tools and not just reading gimmicks. My dream is to see every child flourish and find joy in reading and literacy when they arrive in Kindergarten.
I designed this course after spending 12 years as a professional educator and after my own daughter turned 5 years old and went to Kindergarten. As an educator and literacy specialist, I had many students walk into my Kindergarten classroom without many tools or strategies for reading. The adults in their lives were enthusiastic about education and multiculturalism, but simply did not have the right tools or know how to implement them at home.
This inspired me to teach others how to give a child a solid literacy foundation that is mindful of the diverse world around them right from birth.
What am I going to get from this course?
- A how-to guide on encouraging your baby, toddler, or preschooler to have extraordinary reading,
- writing, speech, listening, and motor skills before they turn 5 years old
- Instructions and techniques on how to create a literacy-rich and diverse environment to instill a love and passion for reading, but also for reading the world.
- A walk through of health/emotional benefits of reading, writing, and the art of conversation with a child through music, language, art, play, andmath.
- A practical guide for how to use whole brain learning as you teach kids to read
- Strategies and resources for teaching children multiple languages even if you aren’t multilingual
- Over 500 read-aloud books for different ages and topics
Who is the target audience?
- This course is for parents (and soon to be parents) and caregivers of babies, toddlers, and preschoolers (ages 0-5). It is presented in a format that is ideal for parents/caregivers who want to give their child a head start in their education.
- This course is taught in English, but the strategies and tools I will give you can be applied in any language you are teaching the child(ren) in your life.
“Teach Kids to Read” Curriculum
- Lesson 1- The Importance of Reading Aloud
- Lesson 2- Learning Multiple Languages
- Lesson 3- Whole Brain Learning
- Lesson 4- Managing a Reading Session
- Lesson 5- Pre- Reading Skills
- Lesson 6- Beginning Writing
- Lesson 7- Beginning Listening
- Lesson 8- Beginning Speaking
- Lesson 9- Reading the World
- Lesson 10- Creating a Reader Friendly Home and Review
I can tell you that even as a teacher, and a mom of 5 kids, taking this course to teach kids to read has taught me new strategies and is re-energizing my nighttime routine with my 4 year old. Whether you are a new or experienced parent or caregiver, you will learn new techniques and discover incredible new titles for your little ones.
Here are some exciting gifts to offer Kid World Citizen readers who purchase this amazing course. If you enroll in the course from now until May 4th, using KidWorldCitizen as the coupon code, you will get:
- $50 off the purchase price
- A free copy of Littles And How they Grow, by Kelly DiPucchio and AG Ford. You will love this sweet story and the lovely illustrations!
- The chance to win this wonderful bundle of Bethany’s favorite literacy books for parents that includes:
- Becoming Brilliant: What Science Tells Us About Raising Successful Children, by Dr.
- Reading Magic: Why Reading Aloud to Our Children Will Change Their Lives Forever by Mem Fox
- The Read Aloud Handbook by Jim Release
- Brain Rules for Baby by John Medina
- The Read-Aloud Family: Making Meaningful and Lasting Connections with Your Kids by Sarah Mackenzie