I was sent this wonderful Olympics Activities Packet for kids from Multicultural Kid Blogs– what a fun way to learn about the Summer Games in Rio!!!! We printed it out last week leading up the games, and have been slowly working our way through the fun activities. There are reading passages, geography activities, history, and more (my son’s favorite page is the medal tracker!).
The Olympics Activities Packet includes a history of the Ancient and Modern Olympics.
- a brief description of all the sports played in the 2016 Summer Games (which I love! Not just favorites like swimming and gymnastics, but every sport from canoeing to field hockey to the newest addition of golf!).
- world mapping activity.
- an introduction to Brazil and Rio de Janeiro, this year’s host country and city.
- introductions to the Olympics top ten nations with the most medals. For each of the 10 countries, you get country facts, geography, brief histories, landmarks, wildlife, music, famous people, Olympics facts, a kid-friendly recipe (such as those below!), and recommended reading.
- interesting reading passages about seven famous Olympians from around the world.
- additional Olympics activities such as flag matching, word search, matching, fill in the blank, multiple choice, and trivia.
My kids are ages 8-11, and these fun Olympics activities were age-appropriate for them. I like using big sporting events (like these games, or the World Cup) as an opportunity for kids to learn about the world, about the geography of the countries participating, and about the history and context. My 11 year old son really enjoyed the packet, especially the activities about China (his birth country). He also loves waking up every morning to check the medal count on google, so that he can fill it in and compare countries (though he is torn, cheering for both US and China! :).
If you’d like to purchase this fabulous, no-prep Olympics activity packet, check out the Multicultural Kid Blogs TpT page here (or click on the photo below). What an easy way to incorporate global learning while kids experience
Enjoy Rio 2016!